If I had a nickel for every time someone told me “I won’t buy shoes online,” I’d have…a handful of nickels (because honestly, how often does that conversation come up?) The point is, I imagine there are a lot of you out there who feel the same way. I know that people fear if the shoes will fit or be comfortable. I really do understand that, which is why I felt obliged to write this post. As an avid online shoe shopper, I think I might be able to help those of you who have concerns about buying online.
All of these shoes are shoes that I’ve bought online. I have no fear, and neither should you! Here are some helpful tips I’ve learned along the way:
1. Check the material. Sometimes online pictures can be hard to decipher. Always check for material type to make sure you’re getting what you want. Material can also make a big difference in price so you will be paying more for real leather, suede, etc.
2. Check the heel height. Pictures taken at different angles can change how tall the shoe actually looks. Pay attention to platform height as well if that information is available. If a shoe is 4 inches with a 1/2 inch platform, it will feel like walking on 3.5 inches. I typically don’t buy anything taller than 4″. Those sky-high heels may look beautiful on the internet, but if you can’t walk in them, there’s no point in having them.
3. Look around for sizing information. Sometimes in the shoe description the website will tell you if the shoes are true to size, or if they recommend going a size up or down.
4. Read the reviews. A lot of websites have reviews of their products written by other customers. I promise, this will make your decision making process much easier. If the majority of people are saying the shoes are uncomfortable, bad quality, etc. – don’t buy them. You can generally find sizing information in the reviews as well.
5. Check the return policy. How long do you have to return the shoes? Do they provide free return shipping? Can you get a refund or just a store credit? These are really important things to consider before buying. Most places have generous return policies that make it so easy to send back something for any reason.
6. Can you get them cheaper? The wonderful thing about the internet is that you can always shop around for the best deal. Most sites will provide coupon codes, especially for new customers. If you can’t find a coupon code, try googling it. Also try googling the exact shoe to see if it’s sold on any other website that may have a cheaper price.
I hope you all have enjoyed my online shoe shopping tips! If you have any other tips or experiences you’d like to share, please leave me a comment!