It’s that time again to introduce you all to my favorite blogger of the month! On the last Friday of every month, I interview a favorite blogger of mine and share their answers on my blog. Click here to see who I have featured in the past!
My favorite blogger of the month for May is Megan from Greetings From Texas. I’m super excited to have Megan on here today because she’s a fellow Houstonian and I actually know her in real life! She is the creator of the Houston Blogger Symposium, and I met her at the HBSYM holiday party that she organized last year. Not only does Megan have an amazing blog, but she is also a new mom, a cancer survivor, and a soon to be author! She’s pretty much the coolest girl you could ever meet. And since I actually know Megan IRL, I can tell you that she is just as genuine and sweet in real life as she seems on her blog.
Click on pictures to see Megan’s original blog posts.
1. City of residence: Houston, Texas
2. How long have you been blogging? Since January of 2011. So almost 2.5 years.
3. How would you describe your personal style? I like to think of it as bohemian chic but I’m fickle and can walk into a preppy store like J. Crew and throw down.
4. How did you first get into fashion blogs? Who were your first favorite bloggers? I remember discovering Kendi Everyday for the first time and my mind being blown.
5. What made you decide to start writing Greetings From Texas? When I was 28 I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and started a Caringbridge blog in order to simultaneously update friends and family on my prognosis. Eventually my cancer went into remission so I started Greetings from Texas and happily explored other topics besides my health. This is one of my very first posts on Greetings from Texas but I still think it’s some of my best work.
6. What’s the most rewarding thing about blogging? I suppose the best thing is the friendships I’ve made. I’m new to Houston and 99% of the friends I’ve made here (good ones at that) are through blogging. My blog has also initiated 3 trips to NYC! (BlogHer conference, NY Pitch Conference, and LuckyFABB) These have been some of the best, most inspiring weekends of my life!
7. What’s your least favorite thing about blogging? It’s incredibly time consuming (or I make it that way because I’m a perfectionist) and takes away time from my family. Between the blog, the book, and the three companies I freelance for, I feel like I’m constantly playing catch up.
8. What’s on your current shopping wish list? I just moved so I’m currently purchasing a lot more home décor stuff than I am clothes – that’s unusual for me. That said, I want; This rug from Lulu & Georgia to go in my new office. This deer head from White Faux Taxidermy for my bedroom (to go with this white bedding from West Elm.) And these Asos heels would get lots of wear this summer.
9. Your blog is so much more than a style blog because you include a lot of hilarious and heartfelt stories about what’s going on in your life. How do you decide what makes it to the blog, and what stays private? Do you ever worry about revealing too much? Yes, I worry about it all the time especially when we were in the adoption process. I worried prospective birthparents or my adoption agency would find my blog and be like “who is this girl? This girl is a ridiculous person.” In terms of what stays private and what doesn’t, I just try to think if I’d be embarrassed or feel bad if anyone specific read what I’m writing. If I’m like “I hope Danny’s boss doesn’t read this” then I don’t write it. Plus, when I’m the most candid it’s usually about me, not Danny or Macy or anyone else. I don’t want to be accused of being a Kardashian and exploiting my family. (Actually, I do want to be accused of being a Kardashian. That would be amazing. I take that back.)
10. Since you’re a fellow Houstonian, let’s talk about our awesome city! What are your favorite restaurants? Where are your favorite places to shop? My favorite restaurant is currently Provisions of Pass & Provisions. Shopping, I love Cheeky Vintage, Zara at the Galleria, and Settlement Goods.
Thank you Megan for being my Favorite Blogger of the Month for May!